What a wonderful weekend...great weather, great art, great throngs of people strolling through the Village surrounded by live music. A family with a vague puzzled look rang my bell at 11am Sunday. They arrived for the ArtWalk and couldn't understand why the streets were so quiet & empty. When I pointed out that it was Sunday, they laughed at discovering they were 23-24 hours too late (considering Daylight Savings Time). They were forced to trade the anticipated ambience of The Village for just another day at the beach.
The dazzling pace of things continue, and I'll just give you a brief run-down:
* Tuesday night March 10 @ Bonni Bakes is Stephanie & Rahel's Ethiopian Dinner, $15 per person, all inclusive. The 6pm sitting is SOLD OUT, but there are still a few spots available at 8pm...call me at 746-6647 to snap up those seats.
* Thursday night March 12 @ Bishop Planetarium the Film Festival is showing "Peace With Seals". If all of that hunting for the Mediterranean Monk seal makes you hungry, there will be some Bonni Bakes desserts available in their cafe. I certify that no seals were harmed in the making of these desserts.
* Saturday March 14 join the St Patrick Day Parade through The Village, beginning at 10:30. There are over 25 groups set to march, starting on 10th Ave and headed directly toward the front of Bonni Bakes. I hope they remember to TURN LEFT. Look for the Village of the Arts float, starring the FUnKy MEn.
These are the 4' styrofoam sculptures that we're giving FREE to Manatee County School art classes to decorate. They'll all come back on Sat May 9th to celebrate ARTS ALIVE, our free day long celebration of the arts for the entire community. If you donate $50, you can have your own FUnky Man PLUS provide two to the schools. For just $20 you can buy a FUNKY DOG, CAT, GECKO or GUITAR to decorate and keep. Talk to me, I'm the Co-Chair of the event and have I got a FUNKY for you!!
* Wednesday March 18 it's a Persian New Year Dinner, prepared by Parvin. The entire dinner (including choice of entree) is only $15 per person, and again the 6pm is SOLD OUT and a few seats are still available at 8pm. You won't find this kind of food anywhere else!
* Thursday March 26 Amy's offering her first Southern Comfort Supper. Starting out with Drunken Cajun Shrimp and Bubblin' Hot Veggie Cheese Dip, followed by Chopped House Salad, Blushin' Citrus Bourbon Glazed Pork Tenderloin or Old School Chicken Pot Pie and Mamma M.J.'s Sweet Southern Surprise. All that for $19.95 per person (gratuity not included), so reserve now or kick yourself later.
All dinners have two seatings: 6pm and 8pm and you're welcome to bring your own beer or wine. We don't accept credit cards, so please be prepared to pay by cash.
Before I run out of steam, here are the menus for this week:
Tues March 10 Amy's Southern Comfort Cuisine lunch served 11-2:
Amy's "almost famous" Hambone Corn Chowder
A creamy cheesy blend of potatoes, corn, smoked ham chunks, broccoli and some other good stuff served pipin hot by the cup and when it's gone.......it's gone! $3.50
Roasted Chicken Salad Sandwich
Topped with crisp maple bacon, lettuce, tomato and served on a toasted whole wheat roll. Choice of side $8
Shrimp n' Grits
Large Gulf Shrimp swimmin' in a kicked up garlic cream sauce and ladled over hot
Cheese Grit Casserole + choice of side dish $9
Collard greens, cabbage, onions, spicy smoked sausage, carrots, red potatoes and cob corn.
Slow cooked in a hearty chicken and ham hock broth + choice of side dish $7
Roasted Broccoli n' Swamp Cabbage Salad
Garlic Roasted Broccoli, Heart of Palm & Artichoke served on a bed of crisp romaine lettuce, w/ fresh tomato, sugar roasted pecans, maple bacon & sweet Valdalia onion vinaigrette $8
Roast Pork Po' Boy
Served on a toasted hoagie roll topped with caramelized sweet onions and smoked provolone cheese served with apple cider au jus for dippin' + choice of side dish $8
Cracker Mac n' Cheese Combo
A generous portion of soul soothin' oven baked 3 cheese elbow macaroni served with your choice of 2 side dishes $8
Key Lime Pie Squares
Take a slice with you.....'cause you know you'll crave it later! $3
Bradentucky Boil, Cheese Grit Casserole, Cracker Mac n' Cheese, Swamp Apple Slaw $3
Cans of Soda or Bottled Spring Water $1 each
Sweet (or not) Louisiana Iced Tea or Pink Lemonade $2 (Free Refills)
TAKE OUT AVAILABLE...CASH ONLY
Wed March 11 BONNI'S NYC LUNCH MENU served 11-2:
Bacon Corn Cheddar Soup served with crunchy fresh bread $4
Ses Salinas Salad romaine, red onion, cucumber, tomato, Spanish olives, Feta + House Dijon Vinaigrette (V) $4
Spinach Stawberry Salad with baby organic spinach, fresh ripe berries, red onion, caramelized pecans & walnuts + Bonni's Special Vinaigrette $7
Chicken added to your salad $2
Pick Two: Soup, House Salad (V) OR Stromboli (Florentine or Roast Veggie) (V) $7.50
Handmade Individual Thin-Crust Pizza (vegan available on request)
Naked Cheese mozzarella, red sauce, parmesan, fresh oregano (V) $6
New York mozzarella, pepperoni, red sauce, parmesan, fresh oregano $6
Mahon mozzarella, spinach, tomato, red onion, red sauce, oregano (V) $7
Margherita mozzarella, red sauce, tomato, parmesan, basil, olive oil (V) $7
Chinese Chicken hoisin, roast garlic, chicken, broccoli, mozzarella, scallions $7
Large crunchy cookie (ask for today’s flavors) (V) $1.25
Outrageous Brownie (V) $1.75
Texas-size Muffin (V) $1.75
Chocolate Orgasm Cookies (Pkg/4) (V) $4.50
Bottled Spring Water, cans of soda $1
Brewed Raspberry Iced Tea or Hot Tea (assorted bags) $1.50
Our House Blend of Half/Caff Flavored Coffee $1.50
Thurs March 12 MEDITERRANEAN THURSDAY LUNCH MENU served 11-2:
Creamy Potato & Leek Soup served with crunchy fresh bread (V) $4
A "Grazing Plate" with a variety of typical Med foods including homemade hummus & pita, Cous-Cous Salad with dates, lemon & chickpeas, Israeli Salad and Eggplant Dip w/Tomato (V) $7.50
the usual suspects available to drink and for dessert (unless I get very ambitious)
Fri March 13 GRILLED SANDWICH & A SIDE MENU served 11-2
Details available later in the week. It's past midnight and my creative side has rolled over and is snoring gently. No point trying to wake it up now. I'll send out menu specifics, including whether I actually make those incredible Brownies w/Bailey's Irish Cream in time for the St Pat Parade in the Village. I can guarantee that I WON'T BE MAKING ANY GREEN BAGELS !!
We value your friendship and patronage but we don't accept Credit or Debit cards. If you want to make a reservation or have questions, just call us at 746-6647.
Hugs from the kitchen,
Bonni Bakes Edible Art
in the Village of the Arts
930 12th St West
Bradenton, FL 34205